Thursday 20 October 2011

Sewing with Katie

My friend Katie gives the best gifts, and many of them are what she has termed 'experiential'. These gifts are often tickets to a music or art show, and always something you would never take the time to buy for yourself - as mentioned the best gifts. Last night was no exception, Katie gave me the gift of Sewing 101 at the lovely Spool of Thread. This gift really knocked it out of the park, not only was it a crafty experience, but it also built on our mutual interest of improving our 'life skills'.

Confession Time - I do not know how to use a sewing machine. The only experience I have had with a sewing machine is a two week stint in junior high were I ended up paying $10 to a girl brimming with 'life skills' to turn my cowboy boot patterned fabric into a pair of radical shorts. Sew:), I was a little nervous about sewing 101, but as it turned out there was nothing to fear - our fun and patient instructor Lili encouraged us each step of the way.
In the end Katie and I conquered our sewing machine fears and walked away with a huge sense of accomplishment, two handsome throw pillows each, and crafty plans for future projects. I urge anyone who likes buying beautiful and unique fabric from friendly and helpful people to check out Spool of Thread. You are in for a real treat!

1 comment: